Weighty Matters

Weighty Matters
Now Available!

Linda's Cozy Mysteries

Growing Up Haunted, Hour-Long Special Radio Show

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Finding Freedom

"The irony of commitment is that it's deeply liberating – in work, in
play, in love. The act frees you from the tyranny of your internal
critic, from the fear that likes to dress itself up and parade around
like rational hesitation. To commit is to remove your head as the
barrier to you life. “-- Anne Morris, found on my Starbucks cup

I wondered at this quote for some time. Although it struck me, I just didn’t get it. How could tying yourself to something or someone actually result in freedom? In life I’ve fought the “status quo” – seeking instead my own path or way of doing things. In marriage I’ve struggled with seeing my husband as an opponent rather than a teammate. I know the Lord has purpose for this strong, independent woman he’s created – it’s all about finding the freedom in Him.

Paul writes in Ephesians, “It is for freedom that Christ has set us free...” (Eph 5:1) Wow, so here He’s promising us freedom in Him. I don’t have to fight battles alone – even the internal ones! “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me…for my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” (Matt 11:29) It really is that easy; I can just say “Ok Lord, this battle is yours.” You’ve created me as this strong, independent woman for a purpose. It is possible for you to work in me!

Paul writes that “you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ…” (1 Cor. 6:11) What honest and humbling words! I am so unworthy, yet have been made worthy through his death on the cross. I am free.

He goes on to write in Galatians 5, “Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.” And with that I continue to go forward. It’s the Lord’s charge to us, to daily take on his yoke and his word, to be made free in him.

2 comments:

Linda Kozar said...

Dear Danielle,

That was sooooo good! Believers take on yokes of bondage again so willingly, forgetting that we have been liberated and set forever free by the blood of Christ.

Thanks for making my day!

Dorothy McCann said...

It is so comforting to rest in my Savior, when I remember to rest in Him. It's good to remember and be reminded. Thanks