Weighty Matters

Weighty Matters
Now Available!

Linda's Cozy Mysteries

Growing Up Haunted, Hour-Long Special Radio Show

Thursday, September 17, 2015

Sold out? You Bet!


Carla McDougal, Author of "Sold Out"
I had the pleasure of meeting Carla McDougal when our kids were still in high school. They were a tight-knit group of friends, but she and I had never met! Carla was already speaking and had quite a church following at that time, but she just starting to put those wonderful words into print. Anyone who knows Carla, knows she has a heart for God, and it flows from her heart to the page. I hope you will see that for yourself as you read her books.  ~Linda Kozar


Where did you get the idea for your new book, SOLD OUT Live for Jesus?

In October of 2014, Philippians 1:21 lingered in my heart, "To live is Christ, to die is gain." I couldn't get it off my mind. Over and over I asked God, "What does it mean to live is Christ, to die is gain?" In the stillness, I heard, "Live sold out to Me. Let every action, thought, and conversation reflect an attitude that says, "I'm sold out to Jesus." Suddenly, the cover of the book popped into my head. A woman with a sign covering her face that reads, "SOLD OUT Live for Jesus." A message embedded deeper still, "It's not about me, but all about Jesus." Without a doubt, God embedded in my heart, "This is your new writing project!" I praise God for the unique ways He works, for it's all about Him.


What is the purpose behind the name of your book––SOLD OUT Live for Jesus? 

God desires for us to live each day with purpose. From the moment we wake up, God waits for us to connect with Him. His voice calls, but do we listen? SOLD OUT encourages readers to find purpose in life by drawing nearer to Jesus in real and practical ways. The heartfelt messages and analogies bring laughter, tears and understanding to God’s Word. Be inspired to live in victory and sold out to Jesus through your thoughts, words, and actions. SOLD OUT not only nourishes the soul but also ignites a purpose for living. 

What inspired you to write SOLD OUT Live for Jesus?

At age 40, I heard a phrase that rocked my world. Changed my perspective. Moved me to tears. These nine words opened my eyes to view God’s purpose for me in a whole new way... “Life is not about me, but all about Him.” Under the umbrella of God’s Word, my focus changed from what I can do for Jesus to surrendering it all to Him. Over the past 12 years, God has used this statement to shape and mold my writing. The front cover of SOLD OUT is symbolic of what I want my life to be. Just like the sign covers the woman’s face, I desire for others to see Jesus working in my life. SOLD OUT focuses on living out God’s Truths in every conversation, action, and thought.

Is SOLD OUT Live for Jesus a devotional or an individual read? Can it be used as a Bible study for groups or individuals?

SOLD OUT Live for Jesus is unique because it serves as a devotional and Bible study in one. This format caters to those craving to dive deep into God’s Word and is just right for those without much time on their hands. SOLD OUT is designed both for group studies as well as an individual read. Either way, the reader will be molded to look more like Jesus by the end of the book. I am in the process of writing the SOLD OUT Leader’s Guide, which will aide the leader in facilitating an in-depth group study. The guide scheduled to release January 2016 as a free PDF download from the Reflective Life Ministries website which is www.reflectivelifeministries.org.

God desires for us to live each day with purpose. From the moment we wake up, God waits for us to connect with Him. His voice calls, but do we listen? SOLD OUT encourages readers to find purpose in life by drawing nearer to Jesus in real and practical ways. The heartfelt messages and analogies bring laughter, tears and understanding to God’s Word. Be inspired to live in victory and sold out to Jesus through your thoughts, words, and actions. SOLD OUT not only nourishes the soul but also ignites a purpose for living.

Share with us your favorite entry from SOLD OUT Live for Jesus.page1image31336

Wow, this is a tough question. But, the entry PRAY 911, from chapter one, pops into my mind. In the midst of an oppressive time, or should I say a spiritual attack from the enemy, I was scheduled to speak at a women’s retreat. The oppression was so heavy and burdensome. Doubt plagued my mind. The morning of the event, I was sitting in my prayer chair and opened my Bible to Psalm 91. The first verse seemed to jump off the page, He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. Peace washed over me. God’s Word strengthened me for the event that evening. The next day I shared my experience with a close friend who said, “Next time text me to pray for you.” Her words continued to linger in my heart and mind. Later in the day, I read Psalm 91:1 again, and this is what I saw––911. My heart pounded with excitement! Immediately, I decided when oppression comes my way I will text PRAY 911 to my prayer team. I jumped up and started praising God. A smile emerges when I think of how God used this real life situation to teach me His spiritual life lesson.


Besides SOLD OUT Live for Jesus, have you written any other books?

SOLD OUT is my third book. The 1st book I wrote is a ten-week bible study called "Reflecting Him." Like Jesus's parables, Reflecting Him uses familiar objects to identify the connection between our physical and spiritual lives. God wants to be a part of everything we do, and this study is designed to help you become aware of His life lessons twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week. My second book is called "My Prayer Chair," which focuses on encouraging the reader to engage in ongoing conversations with God, 24/7. My grandmamma is the inspiration behind My Prayer Chair. Her love, trust, and ongoing communication with Jesus played an important role in molding my prayer life. My Prayer Chair won multiple awards in 2013, and is now available in Spanish, and as an audiobook through Audible, iTunes, and the RLM website: wwwreflectiveministries.org/shop. All of my books are available through Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Lifeway, and other online bookstores

Just for fun... How do you deal with writer’s block?page2image20304

Prayer. Waiting. Listening. For me, prayer is the key to writer's block. Communicating with God opens the door to the waiting room. In the stillness, I listen and anticipate His voice behind me saying, Whether you turn to the right or the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you saying, “This is the way, walk in it" Isaiah 30:20. 




No comments: