Weighty Matters

Weighty Matters
Now Available!

Linda's Cozy Mysteries

Growing Up Haunted, Hour-Long Special Radio Show

Thursday, May 7, 2009

Looking to the past, as we prepare for the future

Back in 1992, my grandmother had recently died, and I took a week off from work to spend time with family, especially my granddad. I think the passing of his wife had got him to thinking of times past, so on Memorial Day week-end, we took a literal trip down memory lane. Mom and I drove to central Oklahoma, and met my granddad. It was a precious time, visiting his former home, driving by the fields of broom corn where he had toiled to earn extra money, and visiting the cemetery where his grandparents were buried. He told us many stories of his growing-up years, but one in particular stood out.

My grandfather and his sister walked to school every day, about two to three miles both ways. One winter day they set off for school, just as usual, coats buttoned up, lunch pails in hand. It started snowing and became colder and colder. 

Granddad's father realized that conditions were becoming dangerous, and set out to look for his children. He found them crying and frightened, standing in the snow because they couldn't go any further.

That story really touched me. How a loving father, concerned for his children, comes to their rescue. Isn't that what God does for us? He will not abandon us. In these challenging, difficult times, we need to remember that when we feel we can't go on any longer, the Lord will be there. He will help us and take care of us.

Hebrews 13:5b,6 "...because God has said, 'Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.' So we say with confidence, 'The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?'"

1 comment:

Linda Kozar said...

Jill Jill Jill. . .what a beautiful image of our Father God! He does come to rescue us even when we do not have the means to cry out--He knows just where you and I are and what our situation is. This devotion really reached me--thank you!